This week’s potpourri is food themed! We have been discovering some delicious new foods and revisiting some old European favorites.
These were pretty much the only interesting photos I found on my phone from this past week, so I’m rolling with it. 🙂
Week #2: 14.3.2014 – 21.3.2014
2. The Milka section at the nearby supermarket with lots of new flavors! We will need to resist the temptation to try them all…
3. Mexican food!! We ate at Santa Maria in Kreuzberg and were delighted to find that the food was pretty much Mexican. Pictured is my entree: tostadas with beans, chunks of pumpkin & creme fraiche served with onions and something pickled. Although mine wasn’t particularly Mexican, it was delicious! Alex had a giant burrito (also tasty) and one of our companions had enchiladas which looked pretty legit. I would definitely go back for more Mexi-Deutsch food & margaritas.
4. Lambertz Vital Klassik cookies were one of my primary food groups during my semester in Austria so I was ecstatic to find them in Berlin! They are made with sunflower seeds, peanuts, sesame seeds, dried fruit, honey & more. I can’t get enough of them.
5. Ayran (pronounced: eye-rahn) is a traditional Turkish drink made from yogurt, water & salt. It comes in a small container with a peel-back foil lid that resembles a yogurt container, which is odd but functional. I’m not really an ayran fan but Alex really likes it and I suspect it is a bit of an acquired taste. It’s sold at every Turkish restaurant (some make their own) and at most kebab stands.
6. BURGERS! I swear Berlin has more hamburger joints than America. It’s crazy! I met up with Alex for lunch at Ketchup & Majo and thoroughly enjoyed my gigantic burger. I had the Hawaii burger (pineapple, cheese, the usual ‘Hawaiian style’ stuff) and Alex had the Orient burger (bell pepper, eggplant, some kind of sausage) – both were awesome.
We had a great week with a lot of fabulous eats. I can’t wait to see what next week brings for our stomaches!