We were pretty busy last week because we were moving out of our old short-term rental apartment into our new long-er term apartment! Between cleaning the old apartment and repacking and preparing to move there wasn’t much time for fun but we made up for it on the weekend. We are loving the location of our new apartment (where we’ll be until September). It’s only 15 minutes from where we were before, but the neighborhood is much more lively and we are just down the street from a subway stop! The apartment itself isn’t ideal; the furniture is all quite retro and crappy and it’s lacking any kind of decor. To be fair, the family who we are subletting from only lived here for a few months before they went on assignment in China, and during that time they had a baby. But the apartment is large and has some nice attributes like a “winter garden” porch and a lot of large windows. There’s some work to be done to make it feel more homey but it’s good enough for now!
Here are some pictures from last week’s moving & weekend craziness!
1. All of our worldly possession – at least for now. Unfortunately, it will be another few weeks until our big shipment from the USA arrives, so for now we’re living out of our very large suitcases. It did make moving easy, though!
2. Alex immediately got to work when we first moved into the new place. This is a pic of his new habitat: the office.
3. One of the many beautiful buildings in our new ‘hood. Our building is, sadly, not pretty like this one but we hope someday we can find a flat in a pretty place like this!
4. The Nowkoelln Flowmarkt (a play on words on the name of the neighborhood, Neukölln) is a popular market along the canal near our new apartment. It’s fairly large with mostly flea-market stands selling used clothing, housewares, etc. It was packed last weekend because of the nice weather.
5. Paella! We got this plate of chicken & shrimp paella at the Flowmarkt and it was delicious. Spanish food isn’t super common here so it was a treat to see it at the market! Look carefully and you can see the shrimp’s head… 😉
6. Some loser I met by the canal at the Flowmarkt who stole all of the paella.